Thursday, May 10, 2007

Awwww.... vs. Meh


Some sweet moments at the end of Bones tonight (as in, Hodgin's not proposing this time so Angela does, and they hug whilst Booth and Brennan share a home-cooked meal..."awwwww"....) - whereas the night before on House...meh, not so much.










I often find myself lumping House and Bones together...not sure why, perhaps because they're both mysteries with quirky comedic characters. Perhaps because they originally aired back to back. Perhaps because both showrunners are clever funny Canucks. Who knows, but I do.


Bones continues to play the mystery light while exploring the intertwined personal relationships of the 'Squints'. It's gotten more and more Moonlighting and less and less CSI, and to its credit it's working. The mysteries are still twisty and interesting, but other things are happening. Characters and relationships are evolving. And changing.

Here's my buddy Hart on YouTube talking up the show...



There was also an interesting interactive element for tonights Bones episode - guest characters were given MySpace pages and you could log on and try to figure out the mystery ahead of time. I'm not sure how much it was accessed or if it made a difference in the ratings, but I'm sure the fanboy/girl's loved it.

House, on the other hand (and I feel I'm just going to get into a scrap with Diane), is starting to spin its wheels. It's seeming more and more like a season of 'do overs' and 'didn't really happens'. This weeks episode had Dr. House act kinda goofy happy throughout until he finds out Wilson doped him with some anti-depressants or something...and just like his whole addiction through line and the vengeful cop arc, things revert back to the way they were, sort of like it didn't actually happen.

Much like so much of the relationship stuff...like Wilson/Cuddy...or Chase/Cameron...or House/Everyone else...

Changing...but not really.

And hanging over this episode was the 'is Foreman really leaving' issue, and it's already feeling like a bit of a wank. If he is actually leaving, then get him out the door. Don't spend entire episodes talking about the why or who or what with him, just do it. And if he ends up changing his mind or getting his mind changed and he stays, then his resignation will be like 'it didn't really happen' again.

Meh.

5 comments:

Juniper said...

Awww... Angela proposed... aw... and I missed it. Darn. I didn't even get my son to tape it.

How did last season end? Did Bones and Booth have chinese food together at her house?

Nice contrast and compare, Will.

I'm not sure that I care if House is on next season, or what it'll take for them to make me. I'll have to think on that.

As for Bones being a little Moonlighting, well, I'm too young to make those comparisons! Bruce who?

Jun

Diane Kristine Wild said...

Nah, no scrap. I don't much care if people like the same shows I do.

I think a big reason Bones gets compared to House a lot is that it was sold that way at first, with the idea that House paved the way for the blend of procedural and character drama in a huge way on FOX.

But I think House is more a character study than an ongoing serial. So you have to be interested in what's revealed about the character through his interactions, otherwise if you're waiting for continuous change in the character or advancement in an ongoing plot, you're going to be disappointed.

I agree that one of House's faults is the reset thing - I hated that about the Tritter storyline ending, and that's why I'm betting against Foreman leaving. I don't think that's what happened with the anti-depressant storyline, though, and it's a bit premature to think we've seen the last of it. I mean, if House continues to take them, as his "confession" to Honey at the end would suggest, that's a pretty big moment of self-awareness. The confession itself was a small moment of self-awareness, especially combined with the acknowledgement that Foreman's got a point in not wanting to be like him.

On the other hand, if you're waiting for him to see the error of his ways, or have babies with Cameron, the show's going to appear to be standing still.

wcdixon said...

Don't get me wrong, D...I still really enjoy "House' - and any show that offers up at least one good "ewww" moment and one memorable line of dialogue "Whatever floats your poop." each week is still aces in my book.

But individual eps aside, that 'reset' element seemed to be applying season/characters as a whole, that's all.

DMc said...

Foreman's SO gone.

Diane Kristine Wild said...

Wanna bet?