Sunday, September 16, 2007

What The 'Kids' Say Is Alright

I always go around the room at the start of each semester and ask my college students what TV they're watching and what movies or moviemakers they're digging...

In this class, preferences were all over the map, but the winners for TV seemed to be The Office and Arrested Development (both comedies, it should be noted). And I heard some praise for moviemakers Scorcese and Tarantino, but Wes Anderson appeared to triumph.

I like this choice.

Fact: even though I'm old by comparison, I also dig Wes Anderson, and would put the trilogy of Bottle Rocket, Rushmore, and Royal Tenenbaums on a list of my favourite movies from the past ten years. Fact: his new film, The Darjeeling Limited, opens in a couple weeks. It appears to be another interesting meets quirky affair. Fact: Rolling Stone magazine gushes loudly...here's the trailer:




Looks good. It just made my list of things to do the day it opens. Hope 'the kids' approve.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"-Did you just call me Coltrane?
-No... But even if I did there's nothing you could do about it."

I'm a huge fan of Tenenbaums. Seen it 27000 times.

I've been reading the Darjeeling script and it's classic.