Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Spec Dem Bones 2.0

First off, a plug for my buddy Hart Hanson's show Bones and yesterdays release of its Second Season DVD set.


Bones isn't exactly an earth shattering or mind-blowing show, but it really delivers the goods in terms of solid enjoyable TV (or TeeVee as per Kay Reindl). Part investigative mystery, part relationship dramedy, the series pairs Dr. Temperance Brennan (Emily Deschanel), a highly skilled forensic anthropologist, with FBI Agent Seeley Booth (Daivd Boreanaz). Always ably assisted by their devoted 'Squints', Brennan and Booth solve crimes while trying to stifle their true feelings for each other.

The show continues to grow on me, as well as on the people that surround me, and I totally get why its already well into shooting its 3rd season. Speaking of which, Hart chimes in with this short update (some spoilers):

Let's see, the third season -- we introduce a serial killer whom it will take the entire season to catch. We'll hit that storyline four or five times depending upon the final number of episodes the studio commits to for the network. The network wants LOTS. We all want to survive the season. We'll probably compromise somewhere in the middle.

Unfortunately we won't have Stephen Fry in the show, at least not before January, so we have another psychologist evaluating Booth and Brennan. He's played by John Francis Daly - the kid from "Freaks and Geeks" -- he's still young looking but I think he's about six four. He's terrific. We have a new time slot before "House" which is a very good time slot. We've never had a Very Good Time Slot before -- the only downside is that there will be increased expectations.

And we just finished shooting the Halloween episode -- fifth episode of the third season. Apparently if you dress your characters up in amusing costumes, the press lines up to take their pictures. I wish I'd learned this years and years ago. You keep trying to come up with promotable story lines and touching character moments and all America REALLY wants is Tamara Taylor in a Cat Woman costume.


Season Three premieres Tuesday Sept. 25 on Fox.


I'd like to add that I think Bones would be a great spec script to have in your back pocket. The series gives you the opportunity to showcase your mystery writing skills using lead characters stuck in a strangely symbiotic relationship = funny clever dialogue. I know all the buzz right now is for original pilots, and I'm not arguing, but you really need at least two samples and one should be from a current television series.

What are some other safe yet solid spec choices out there right now? Dexter? Criminal Minds? Brothers And Sisters? Ugly Betty? I suppose the right choice depends on your writing strengths and which show spec can best highlight them. Just make sure it's a show that's at least one season old and has been renewed...that way, you can use it for a year or two if it sings.

And as far as comedies go, 30 Rock and How I Met Your Mother are probably safe bets...Californication just got renewed (sigh)...and I'd already start working on a Back To You, the sitcom with Kelsey Grammer and Patricia Heaton. The new comedy may not be any good, but I highly doubt it'll get cancelled.

Spec thoughts?

1 comment:

Jane said...

Glad to see you're recommending Bones to spec, since I'm working on my Bones right now. One of the major problems I'm having is getting ahold of produced Bones scripts. They don't have any at the WGA, and there aren't any online. The science stuff is a nightmare too - lots of research required. I'm seriously looking forward to writing some dialog once my outline is finally done!