Friday, May 19, 2006

The toughest shot...

...in golf is generally considered the 'long bunker shot'. Why? Not sure exactly (because it never gave me a lot of grief)..but its what the tv commentators always say when a player has one. Perhaps because its difficult to control, or gauge the distance, or sand scares the hell out of most golfers, or all of the above...

Golf is a great game, and almost always on my mind - I consider the Masters tournament my 'Super Bowl', and follow the PGA season and specifically Canadian Mike Weir with the same interest and intensity I used to follow the Maple Leafs hockey when I used to live in Toronto.

Some background - I worked as a range boy and proshop assistant for a while during high school.. and I worked nights running a film theatre and played golf almost every day during my university years (I also assistant managed a record store during same time...music...one of my other loves), and got pretty good...at golf, that is...

...and when I graduated film school, I was leaning toward going to assistant golf pro school. More than leaning. But then a combination of my graduating student film winning at the Canadian Student Film festival, and a good friend asking whether I wanted to work at what I liked to play, and not do anything creative in my life - made me reconsider golf work and I dived into this writing/directing/producing tv thing. And to this day, I wonder...

Anyway, it got me thinking...what's the long bunker stroke equivalent of making television? What's tv writing, directing, producing's 'toughest shot'?

Comments welcome....

No comments: