Wednesday, June 04, 2008

So Technorati...What's Up?

I know I shouldn't be concerning myself with such trivial matters, but over the past several months I've watched (with some dismay) my Technorati links plummet off the charts. Not so long ago, they stood at around 60, now they waver tentatively at an almost embarrassing 14. Even though visitor stats were still respectable, I just figured other blogs had been deleting Uninflected Images from their blogroll since I hadn't been posting as often.

But still...would so many abandon the Dix so fast?

So I started clicking through the sidebar and my favourites, just to see if what I thought had happened was actually the case....and I stopped checking when I hit 45. Yes, that's right...at least 45 blogs were still linked here, and I know of several more I didn't need to check...yet my Technorati stats still sit at 14. What the huh?

Not that it's that important...really...but because I'm curious and/or vain, is there a tech/blog expert out there in the scriboblogosphere that can tell me...what's up? Or better yet, how does one get the stats up...again?

Edit: And just so we're clear, I'm not talking links to posts...those seem to drop off after a certain time period...but just links from blogroll to blog. Okay okay, I'll stop whining and write Technorati a note...


I now return to wondering how I will be able to see a lot of the new and returning CTV programs this fall when I don't have the A Channel as part of my cable package. Oh no! Oh right, I can see all those shows on US networks anyway...problem solved!

3 comments:

Near by said...

yes I think the Technorati geeks have lost the plot ....

They can't be 'definitive' about blog popularity' - if they don't even monitor or link to all other new widgets/sites...

its all crap anyway...

Good Dog said...

Isn't the current number based on a set amount of time, so that you need other blogs to keep linking to you, either in their sidebars or in the content?

I'm sure I saw that somewhere amongst all their flummery - that's the second time I've used that word this week, obviously trying to bring it back into fashion.

So if you get a lot of links spread over... oh, let's say the first six months or year, as the months carry on the first links are dropped from the number.

My number has plummeted as well. Heck, it's in single figures. And I've noticed that Thought Wad has been dropped from a bunch of blog rolls as well. Pah!

Jane said...

This may be unrelated, but I just added the new Blogger blogroll to my sidebar. It shows each blog's latest title and when the blog was most recently updated in the sidebar.

For some reason, the Uninflected... listing says it was last updated 10 months ago, even though that's obviously not true.