Friday, June 20, 2008

Musically Tagged...Or What's Making Me Sing These Days

I've sort of avoided playing the tag game for some time now, but UK's Blowing My Thought Wad hit me up with one that I'm happy to take a run at...


“List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they’re not any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now.”


In no particular order, here are my Magnificent Seven:

1) High & Dry' by Radiohead...



...from the new cd release Best of Radiohead...only purchased because I have always thought of Radiohead as an 'album band' as opposed to 'hit artists', and wanted to see if a compilation of their better known songs would be an enjoyable listen. It's okay, but still like their albums better.


2) 'War On War' by Wilco...



...after finally watching the marvelous music documentary I Am Trying To Break Your Heart about the making of the band's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot album.


3) 'We Rock' by the Jonas Brothers et al...



...because 'Camp Rock' airs tonight, and my kids won't stop playing/singing it....and I find myself singing along. Shrug.


4) 'The Funeral' by Band Of Horses...



....because my eldest recently turned me onto them, which in turn made me want to pull out my old dusty copy of...


5) 'Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns' by Mother Love Bone...



...one of the pioneers of the Seattle grunge scene before singer Andrew Wood's untimely death, and first cassette tape of 'check this band out' music sent to me by Hart Hanson....


6) 'Stickboy' by The Hanson Brothers...



...because Henshaw thinks it should be the new HNIC theme.


7) And coming full circle sort of, Prince's live cover of Radiohead's 'Creep' at Coachella last month...

*WATCH CLIP HERE* - F'in Prince keeps taking down YouTube clips*



...because it's so smokin' hot cool (damn that boy can still sing AND play guitar)


The final instruction is to tag seven other people to see what they’re listening to. Well those seven that are magnificent are:

Um...McGrath, Weinman, Henshaw, Girotti, Rogers, Christina, and Jane... plus anyone else who wants to play (I'm looking at you Epstein and Diane)

.

8 comments:

Juniper said...

How is that still on you-tube? Did Radiohead convince P that it's their song and he can't take it off the site? What's the scoop?

J

Diane Kristine Wild said...

Nice try, but isn't it kind of cheating to name 9 people? You really think that's going to make Epstein and I not notice that we didn't make the cut? ;)

I thought I'd missed my chance to see the Prince version of Creep too - glad to see it's (back?) up.

wcdixon said...

damn...and I was just trying to be nice, Diane.

Yeah...that live Creep song was up and then taken down by Prince's people but then Radiohead said it was their song not his (to claim copywrite infringement)...then this version just appeared, but I've read that Prince is still trying to get all copies off Youtube so who knows...watch it quick!!

Good Dog said...

Will, I thought this would be a good one for you.

Nice selection. That's a really good comment about Radiohead. Even after all these years OK Computer always seems to be one solid block of music rather than individual songs.

Christina said...

How fun! I'll post something today.

One of my favorite albums of all time is The Bends by Radiohead. I agree - a band best listened to by the album, not by the song.

I collect and study rock music documentaries. I Am Trying to Break Your Heart is one of the best of all time.

Prince is hot.

jimhenshaw said...

Hey, thanks a lot, Dix! I'm on the road, distant from my tunes and apparently stuck in a town where all I can find on the dial are CBC and some place that plays Neil Diamond and Jerry Vale 24/7.

But I will respond as instructed. It'll just take a couple of days.

And...if Jim Prentice gets his way on copyright, will we even be able to do stuff like this anymore?

Ken said...

Frankly I feel "outed." Often what one says they listen to bears little resemblance to what's actually tickling their eardrums. In my case that couldn't have been more true. But thanks for including me, Will. It was fun to look at what I'd actually pressed the play button on.

Jane said...

So hard to pick just seven.

Wilco have been breaking my heart for years now. They're my all-time favorite band. But they didn't make my list.

xj