Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Origin Story...

...of my blog name - hmmmm...I'm not sure if it was from David Mamet's book 'On Directing Film' or in a university class discussing the editing style of Eisenstein, or perhaps it was both, but the observation noted was something along the lines of 'cinematic storytelling is the juxtaposition of uninflected images that creates an idea in the mind of the viewer' ...

And it stuck with me...I remember thinking 'cool, that makes a lot of sense'...

And for a while I endeavored to write like that, but soon learned that writing that way doesn't necessarily make for a good screenplay...or at least make for an easy script to read.

Reading screenplays can be a tough slog - since most people don't know how to read a script, even those who work in this silly business....especially those. And to read shots/sequences back to back or' juxtaposed' will not necesarily create the idea/notion/feeling you are after in the mind of the reader...or certainly not as easily as 'seeing' it as a viewer.

So you modify, and conform, and compromise - you find ways to try to achieve that goal without just writing out a list of shots...and maybe its more of a rule for directors or editors, but it's still a cool notion.


Just watched a segment on The Daily Show about two competing dwarf Kiss tribute/cover bands each made up of midgets ... Mini Kiss and Tiny Kiss...too bizarre...too funny...


ARTIST & SONG? - "Oh no it does not move me
Even though I've seen the movie
I don't want to check your pulse
I don't want nobody else"

No comments: